Friday, March 20, 2009

Setting up Camp


Whenever I roll into camp, the first thing I do is check out the area. You want to make sure you are camping at a reasonable distance from the next camper to allow some privacy. Check the ground for any glass, nails, animal feces, rocks, cacti, or any type of obstruction. It is also a good idea to look for water. Most campsites have water spigots which allows you to have access to free water during your stay. If there is a camp host, ask where the water is. Once you set up your whole campsite, there is no turning back. Whether you camp in desert climates or wooded areas, look for flat areas where you can find shade from trees or bushes. I like to set up my whole campsite right away, that way I can get it done and relax.
This is my personal step by step method I use for setting up camp, but you choose what works best for you.
The first thing I do is set up my tent. Depending on the style of tent you use, this could be the most time consuming part of setting up. I will go over types of tents later on. Once you have your tent up, this will allow for all your blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, clothing, air mattress, and any other personal items you want stored and out of the way. The next thing I unpack is my camping kitchen. Whomever created them, was a genius. I am able to organize all my kitchen items. The next thing is to unpack all camp chairs, put together your toilet, put up a portable shower, put up the canopy, and set out all other Misc items. Don't forget to put out a garbage bag right away. I usually find a tree branch that is just aways from camp, so you don't get bothered by bees and flies. Make sure you pack out everything you packed in when your ready to leave. Here are a couple of good tips to remember:

Flies, ants, and bees are always unwelcoming guests when camping. Make sure you store your food above ground. Make sure you keep lids on all containers, including any food or garbage cans you may bring. Bees love to fly around used pop and beer cans. If you hang a garbage bag, try using the drawstring kind to keep it as closed as possible. Always pick up animal waste as soon as you see it, if you don't, you will see more flies than you knew existed. Happy Camping Everyone.

No comments: